Many businesses are beginning to engage in eco-friendly practices. Some encourage the use of green materials; others insist on proper disposal of supplies and equipment; and quite a few redesign the workspace for a more efficient and greener environment.
Changes made by businesses usually create a big impact to the environment but this does not imply that as individuals, we cannot do our share. We can all do our part to make the world more environment friendly. Some actions we can pursue might seem trivial, but looking at the bigger picture, it is certainly noticeable. Below are some eco-friendly tips for your home. By following these practices, you can definitely make a difference.
- Recycle – There are many items all around the house that can be recycled. Separate these items from the rest, stockpile, and toss in recycle bins set along the road for easy pick up. Making this a habit can prevent plastics and other recyclable materials from winding up in landfills.
- .Donate Unused Items – Another way to keep items from ending up in landfills is to donate unused pieces. Remember that one person’s junk may be another person’s treasure. So, dispose unused items and let other people take them in.
- Use CFL’s – Otherwise known as compact fluorescent lamp or light, CFL is an energy- efficient alternative to incandescent bulbs. This reduces power consumption and lasts longer than conventional ones. It is for these reasons that some local electric companies send out CFL’s in exchange for used incandescent bulbs for an environment-friendly approach..
- Turn Off Devices Not Being Used – This practice can involve many things. Turn off lights when no one is in the room. Do not leave televisions and music players unattended or when you are not around to enjoy it. Also, this extends to video games and other electronic equipment. Turn computers off when not in use as well. And remove the charger from the outlet when devices are fully charged.
- Utilize Remanufactured Toner Cartridges – It is all about energy conservation. Did you know that around 350 million cartridges wind up in landfills every year? And it can take up to 1000 years for these items to decompose? These reasons have pushed independent manufacturers to come up with an eco-friendly alternative -remanufactured toner cartridge. This alternative, while not a 100% solution to the growing number of cartridges in landfills, is designed to extend the useful life of empty but still functional cartridges. So the next time your printer runs out of toner, choose to buy and use eco-friendly toner cartridges
- .Make Eco-Friendly Repairs – Make eco-friendly repairs in the house using natural and green materials. This may be costlier than conventional ones, but the benefits to the environment is high.
- Repair Equipment, Devices, and Furniture – As much as possible, choose to repair rather than buy new items at home. If it is beyond repair though, dispose it properly so institutions can make use with what is left of it.
- Use A Compost Bin – Composting offers numerous eco-friendly benefits. On top of it all, it can revitalize and replenish the soil for gardening.
These are just some of the eco-friendly tips that you can do to turn your homes more environment friendly. Give these a try and feel better knowing that you are making a positive difference in the world around you.